Saturday, March 8, 2008

Lora's Weird Wheat Berry Salad



This salad sound weird and looks weird, but tastes good. I think the fresh dill is what makes it so good. The original recipe was called perfect protein salad. It called for soy beans instead of white beans. With the soy beans and the tofu I guess it was quite the protein bomb for vegetarians. I didn't like the name "Perfect Protein Salad" so I changed it. I only made this recipe the first time because I happened to have cooked soybeans and cooked wheat berries on hand. (first and only time that happened). Glad I did, because I would never have made this based on reading the recipe. I make it using cottage cheese. Wheat berries freeze well after they are cooked, so go ahead and make extra wheat berries. See also the Wheat Berry Pilaf for breakfast and my whole grain nutrition entry. This recipe is from the Moosewood Cookbook.


WEIRD WHEAT BERRY SALAD


INGREDIENTS

1 can or 1 1/2 c white beans

3/4 c dry wheat or rye berries, soaked overnight (1 ½ c cooked)

1/4 to 1/3 c cider vinegar (to taste)

1 tsp salt

fresh black pepper, to taste

1/4 c minced fresh dill (or 2 tsp dried)

1/4 to 1/3 c mayonnaise

1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced

½ c finely minced parsley

1 c cottage cheese or mashed tofu

3 scallions, finely minced

1 medium carrot, minced

1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and minced

a little bit of bell pepper (I used 1/4 a green pepper)


optional: minced red onion or celery, fresh alfalfa sprouts, sliced radish, tomato slices for garnish


Soak: Soak the wheat or rye berries for at least 30 minutes. (Soaking them overnight is also fine)



1. Place the soaked wheat or rye berries in another saucepan and add at least 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, partially cover, and simmer until tender. This will take between 1 and 1 1/4 hours. When the wheat berries are cooked, (chewy but not burst open, some will still crack open , that's O.K.) drain well. Transfer to a medium sized bowl.


2. Combine everything and mix well. Serve garnished with ripe tomato slices.

No comments: