Friday, March 21, 2008

Sweet Potato Pancakes




I went on a cooking adventure tonight. I only had one lone sweet potato and I didn't know what to do with it. All my recipes call for more then one sweet potato and I didn't want to heat the oven just to bake it. So I decided to experiment. I combined my recipe for potato pancakes (I'll post it sometime) with the spices in my oven baked sweet potato fries. Oh the tension. Would the sweet potatoes be too much work for the food processor? Would the pancakes cook before the they burned? Would they taste good? The results? The were really good. They would be good as a side dish or served for breakfast along side breakfast burritos. They were good on their own or with ketchup. I doubled the recipe when I wrote it here. I'm sure they would be good with whole wheat flour or without the spices (ya know, for the kids). But, I haven't tried either of these things.


SWEET POTATO PANCAKES

Yield 14 3-4-inch pancakes


INGREDIENTS

2 eggs

1 small onion, cut into large chunks

1 tsp salt

2 T flour

1/4 tsp baking powder

2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cut in half and then sliced (it's easier then cutting it into cubes)

1/2 tsp chili powder (I used half chili powder and half chipoltle powder)

1/4 tsp pepper


Place all ingredients in the food processor and process until combined. Cook the pancakes in an oiled, nonstick pan. Spoon on the batter and spread it out. Cook on medium to medium-high. Make sure the first side is done before you flip them so the pancake stays together.



No comments: