Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Peach Ice Cream



My brother in law bought a box of fresh peaches from a church group. That was great. But the problem was, the peaches were all very ripe and read to be eaten immediately (they were also very juicy and very tasty). They gave me some of the excess peaches and I made peach ice cream. I really like the peach ice cream. It's peachy and creamy and delicious. However, unless I find myself in a situation where I have excess peaches again, I probably won't make this again. I think peaches are great eaten fresh and unadorned. Ice cream doesn't improve the taste of peaches. That being said, if my peaches are in danger of going bad, I'll turn them into ice cream again. I might try adding some fresh mint. I just made it this afternoon, so I can't say for sure. But I'm pretty sure it will freeze as hard as a rock. This recipe is from Dave Libovitz's cookbook "The Perfect Scoop" and this blog and this blog.

FRESH PEACH ICE CREAM
INGREDIENTS
3 large peaches
1/2 c water
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c sour cream
1 c heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice

Fill a 3 quart pot half way and bring to a boil. Make an X on the top of each peach. Add the peaches to the boiling water and boil 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side. Rinse immediately under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Peel and dice the peaches. Add the peaches and 1/2 c water to a covered saucepan. Heat over medium heat for 10 minutes, stir once or twice. Take the peaches off the heat and stir in the sugar. When the mixture has cooled somewhat, blend with an immersion blender. You can either blend everything smooth or leave some chunks. Cool in the refrigerator until cold. Whisk in the remaining ingredients and freeze according to your ice cream makers directions.

No comments: