Thursday, July 17, 2008

Breakfast Salad


I'll take a few questions.
Q: Why are you eating salad for breakfast?
A: I don't know. It's just what I was craving. And, I have so much fresh homegrown lettuce in the house that's begging for me to eat it. I also feel like I haven't been eating enough vegetables lately. (I have been eating lots of veggies, but I feel that way none the less.)
Q: Why do you think this is breakfast food?
A: Eggs and bacon. For me, spinach and avocado also say breakfast. I'm pretty sure that's just me though.
Q: Hey, I thought you didn't like boiled eggs.
A: I don't. I thought it needed an egg to qualify as breakfast. I could have done a poached or over easy egg, but that didn't sound good to me.
Q: Have you gone off the deep end?
A: Probably.
Q: I've noticed you were craving veggies, but you also added bacon. Do you notice the irony?
A: Yes. I'm off the deep end.
Q: Would you do it again?
A: If I had a craving for a breakfast salad. I enjoyed the first half of the salad a lot. The second half of the salad left me wondering why I was eating salad for breakfast.
I'd suggest serving this for brunch along side more brunchy offerings or for lunch. I put the avocado on top of the salad for the picture, but I ate it on the side. I think the wonderful subtle flavor of avocado gets lost when it's among other food.

Breakfast Salad
INGREDIENTS
1 boiled egg, chopped
1 piece of bacon, fried and chopped
spinach (I used spinach, arugula, and garden lettuce)
tomato, chopped
1 T finely chopped onion
mushrooms, sliced
1/4 avocado, sliced

Make a salad.

1 comment:

Rhubarb and Venison said...

Hey, I'm all about dinner for breakfast, breakfast for dinner, or whatever. And gorgeous salad, you have a knack for presentation.