Thursday, January 3, 2008

Oven Roasted Chili Sweet Potato Fries



Even people who don’t like sweet potatoes (like my sister) like this recipe. The spicy and sweet combination is nice. They are very toddler friendly with just salt, pepper and oil. Last time I made these I baked them 25 minutes and had the oven temperature at 450 for the last 15 minutes. This recipe is from Everyday Foods.



OVEN ROASTED CHILI SWEET POTATO FRIES (or wedges)

Serves 4

INGREDIENTS

1 ½ lbs (2 to 3 medium) sweet potatoes

2 T olive oil

1 T sugar

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp coarse salt

1/4 tsp pepper


1. Preheat oven to 425. Cut each potato lengthwise (with skin on) into 8 wedges; halve long wedges crosswise or cut into fries.


2. On a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or without), toss potatoes with oil, sugar, chili powder, salt, and pepper, until coated or toss in a bowl first. Arrange wedges cut side down or spread out fries on a half sheet pan or cookie sheets.


3. Roast potatoes until browned and tender, 15-20 minutes. Season with additional salt if desired before serving.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Or, you can make them for your toddler like I did a couple days ago, use way too much chili powder, and have her say "that's a little bit too ficy for my mouth, mama".

I like making them using a mandoline or v-slicer (mine is fixed at 1/8" slices, but I'd imagine 1/4" would work well, too). I switched to this because I like more surface area than you get with wedges, and I'm too lazy to slice into tiny, thin fries. Also, I finally stopped overcrowding the pan, so I get a nice chewy-crisp edge rather than a pile of steamed slices. :)