Friday, September 4, 2009

Is Deep Fried the new Bacon?



My sister just sent me this link from the today show. O.K. I know I should be appalled, but I'm intrigued. Deep fried butter, deep fried coke, deep fried latte, deep fried cookie dough, deep fried peanut cups, deep fried peaches & cream with butter cream dip, and spiral cut sweet potatoes deep fried with butter & cinnamon sugar. There is even more listed in the link. These are all entries in the Texas State fair deep fried food competition. Now that the bacon craze is dying down, is a deep frying craze about to start?
Dang that zucchini bread in the oven is smelling good. I hope it tastes as good as it smells. The recipe says it has to cool for an hour and 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven. I hope I can make it.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

um...... yes, you should be appalled.

consider it this way: it's a hollow sphere of dough, being soaked through with butter on the inside and oil on the outside.

at least the oil has the common decency to drain off!

Lora said...

I'm not as intrigued by the fried butter as I am by the other things on the list. The fried butter is more butter then is necessary. (Unless you call the recipe fried butter, then you probably need lots of butter) It's like a doughnut/biscuit filled with garlic butter (or other flavor). I might like it. I do love butter more then is strictly necessary.