Saturday, October 18, 2008

Salsa


I've been making salsa for years. There used to be a green house in town that grew fresh tomatoes. It was so awesome. I had an endless supply of cheap, fresh, vine ripened tomatoes. I miss you green house. Recently I received a few tomatoes from my gardening aunt and uncle that I turned into salsa. I actually took the time to write down some amounts this time. Now people who want the recipe have actual amounts, instead of just a list of ingredients. You will still have to adjust for seasoning because each batch of salsa is different. I've found that if you think your salsa needs something, what it usually needs is salt. My second guess would be more cumin. The salsa will end up watery when made from fresh tomatoes. Your instinct is to drain off some of the "water". If you do that, it will just make more "water" within a half a day. I serve it with a slotted spoon and call it good. My salsa is not very hot. If you want it hotter, you can add the seeds and ribs of the hot pepper (jalapeno) or just add more. You could also add more Tabasco. Also, each jalapeno is unique. To get the same amount of heat sometimes it will take half a jalapeno, sometimes two jalapenos. You'll just have to use your best judgement.

SALSA
INGREDIENTS
3 tomatoes (3 cups), chopped
1 hot pepper, chopped 1 T + 1/2 tsp (mine was from the farmers market)
1 slice of onion, finely chopped onion 2 1/2 tsp
1 clove of garlic, pressed through a garlic press
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
a shot or two of Tabasco
a few grinds black pepper
hot sauce
1 T + 1/2 tsp cilantro, chopped
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1 1/2 T chopped fresh parsley

Combine all the ingredients.

No comments: